Saturday 24 September 2016

Day 32: Event Day

It's a special day with a 10km event this morning then another this evening with a fundraiser relay, each of us race-walking 5km plus some to achieve a half marathon distance. Besides receiving a medal at the finish line, there's that sense of achievement for showing up and completing the goal you had signed up for a couple of months prior. Though there is always the thought if I had only trained harder my time would have been better. That thought last less than a minute as I focus on how to celebrate and what race shall I enter next. I like a destination to aim for and these running events in Singapore are great. The only problem is that there is no walk category, which I'm certain discourages walkers from entering. I take a stand and only walk and in doing so get cheered on along the way, though I think it's more to do with my age than the fact that I'm walking.


I was definitely in need of  a siesta this afternoon but the universe decided otherwise with the reverberation of power tools in the apartment above. Who renovates a kitchen on a Saturday afternoon? A house in the burbs of Auckland; ok, but not downtown Singapore. Lucky the AB's weren't playing today otherwise, all hell would break loose by one very disgruntled man.

Of the many thoughts streaming through my noggin during the evening, 5km sprint was ideas of stamina, which I was lacking. Had the leg strength but none of that inner oomph one needs. The All Blacks came to mind and their extraordinary wide repertoire of skills and fitness for all. But their stamina is a wonderment. Then that thought: you just need to put more effort in, a bit like my studio practice. Show up, work hard. Whatever the dream, the vision, the destination, nothing is going to happen unless I get out there and make an effort, even if the effort is only to put on my walking shoes and go out the door each morning. the momentum will happen....speaking from experience and as usual, I'm talking to myself. (not that I listen that often being a pig-headed, stubborn wee lass).